We honed our research skills during library and language arts. Each student researched a topic of his/her choice and created a filmstrip report. Then, they completed bibliographies.
We've worked hard on essay writing skills this year. We played a game called "Writing Ninjas" where we focused on:
1. Using all words in a question to answer the question
2. Writing a 3-part thesis
3. Writing 3 topic sentences based on the thesis statement
4. Adding specific details that match each topic sentence
5. Writing conclusion sentences
6. Adding a hook and background information at the very beginning of an essay, so the reader knows what you're about to write about
7. Drafting a conclusion paragraph - restating the thesis and then explaining briefly why what you're talking about matters
Karen Redmon originally migrated to SLC from Memphis, TN. She has a Bachelor's in International Relations from BYU and a Master's in Teaching from Westminster. She's taught 4th, 1st, and 5th grades. Her interests include: camping, hiking, swimming, dancing, singing, pottery, sewing, theater, music, reading, and most of all-- learning.